Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Path For Prayer

I had planned on sharing earlier about the women's event we held at church the first weekend of February, but then "life" happened. I took a blogging hiatus after my mother-in-law passed away and I've just been trying to get moving again the past couple weeks.
 
We got the idea for our event from the book Sensible Shoes by Sharon Garlough Brown. I previously wrote a blog post about the book. (Click HERE to read that post.)
 
The characters in the book learn several different spiritual practices, one of which is a prayer walk. They used a labyrinth, so I made one! (I wanted it for the mini-pilgrimage that I did with the girls, but I also wanted to use it for the women's event.) I made it with a no-longer-used king-size top sheet, duck tape, and stick-on letters. I put clear packing tape over the letters to keep the letters from being kicked off by the kids (or by me).
 
One way to pray while walking the labyrinth: On the way to the center, focus your prayer on releasing your sin, tension, frustrations, etc. to God. In the center, receive from God – His blessings, His guidance, His comfort, whatever He desires to give you. Then on the walk out of the labyrinth, focus your prayer on returning to the world and serving God.
 
Here are a few photos of my creation! (This counts as a "Throwback Thursday" post, right?!)
 
The overview. The center is large enough to put a stool or small chair.
Entering the labyrinth. Yes, those are my feet.
The center. I ran out of Es so I used upside-down 3s!
Leaving the center.
 

No comments: