Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Dad 244: Our Designer Mailbox

(MacGyver's got nothing on my father! Enjoy Dad's post! ~ Tracy)
 
Derf Here! The early morning sun shineth brightly. The night temperature stayed above freezing. Supposed to be close to 50° today. Back to below normal the next couple days with possible snow on the weekend. Hope Boston gets a couple inches to set a new record. March snow will not last long. Daily melting is going well. I'm ready for April!
 
Anyone who has read my blog posts knows I wiped out our mailbox during the blizzard of 2015. This was accomplished while telling Lew how careful I always am while plowing. It was necessary for me to somehow rig up a temporary mailbox until I can redo this spring. Well, a few years ago I purchased a 1950s bicycle at an auction, attended by my son-in-law Glen and myself. The bike had a trailer. I settled on using the bike trailer in my temporary fix.
 
I attached the mailbox's broken post to the trailer and used 120 pounds of sand in buckets as the weight necessary to hold firm the box. Well, during the next storm the mailbox broke away from the trailer due to the town plow flinging the snow while cleaning the road. Back to the drawing board.
 
I bent some straight metal pieces into angle irons and reattached the mailbox. I also added a total of six bungee cords of various strengths to the project. Then I decided to build a protection from the town snowplow by attaching a couple pieces of wood. This has worked well and will last until permanent repairs are made (probably in April). I suppose I could leave the temporary as the permanent, but probably the neighbors would complain! Wish me luck. Enjoy the photos!
 
 
 
Well, Lew and I installed our new water pressure pump. We had a strategy and it worked even better than we thought it would. Another project accomplished.
 
Just a note to let you know that Glen, Deb, Josh, and Zack have been tossed out of their house due to the ice dam damage to their home. They are spending a few weeks in a complex set up for such messes. Removal of the asbestos will begin on March 30. After all the removal and drying out comes all the rebuilding. They seem to be handling it well. Certainly a lot better than I would be!! Really!! Geez!!
 
Off to the store! Sooo....
 
Until next time!
 
Toodle Pip!
 
Derf!
 

No comments: