Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dad 76: Merry Christmas

(Enjoy Dad's post!  And, oh... I agree.  --  Tracy)

Derf Here! From the rainy Northeast.  Did you notice we are not getting snow, but rain?  The ground here is still green (no plowing yet).  However, it is quite cool certain nights.  Down to about 8 degrees a couple nights ago.  I guess that a 'White Christmas' is impossible.  Sorry, Bing, keep dreaming.

Back in the 80's I established a tradition at Massabesic High School of singing at our annual Christmas assembly.  I doubt that the assembly is still happening, knowing what is going on in this country.  It was a 'joyous' occasion for me.  I'm not considered a 'joyous' person (just kidding).  It was kind of fun having students asking me during the day:  "Hey, Mr. G., are you going to sing today?"  I would say:  "Maybe."  I always sang.  As soon as my "White Christmas" -- accompanied by the band -- was over, I would dismiss the group with, "You are dismissed.  I'll see you next year.  Merry Christmas."  This dismissal with a 'Merry Christmas' probably would be frowned upon today.  Sad, but true!

Christmas today causes no anxiety for me.  The older I get, I become more mellow.  I hope my family agrees to this.  I like watching the grandsons opening presents.  I enjoy dinner with the families.  Families consist of extended families gained as in-laws.  I miss my Illinois family, but that is a part of life that I have accepted (not willingly, but of necessity).

I am happy that Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth.  This, as we know, is the greatest happening of the season.  Enjoy the season with family and friends.  Be happy for Christ's birth and what He means in your life.  And have a Merry Christmas!

My post is short today as I do not want Tracy to type all afternoon.  Hopefully you got my message!  Longer next time!

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: