Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Dad 221: Of Mice and Man

(Dad wrote out today's post on three pages of yellow-lined paper. His note to me at the bottom of page #3: "Tracy - Sorry so long, but the story must be told!" Enjoy! ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Not enjoying a cloudy, cool, dismal, drizzly day in the Northeast. We don't have a choice, so we'll live with it. No like, though!

A while back I had a truck that would not start. Found out a relay was bad so it was replaced. (Had no prior trouble like this for years.) Well, about six months later, I had the same problem. Replaced the relay and purchased one to carry with me.

All was well until returning home one day from a dump run. My dash lit up and a message told me to "service my 4-wheel drive". When I turned the key off the truck would not shut off. The problem was that I needed to replace the relay (fuse) panel located under the hood. It seems I had a mouse infestation and the critters totally destroyed the panel. The local Chevrolet dealer had the necessary part on its shelf and said this problem was not unique. The panel was replaced, costing a few hundred dollars.

Just last week, I decided to service the truck so as to mount my plow and have it checked out for free at a local truck center. (They do a pre-check every fall and replace all fluids.) While servicing the truck I decided to check the fuse panel. Guess what we found? A lot of mouse droppings, along with the hole that allows the pesky pests to live with the fuses.

The war is now on. I opened the panel and covered the fuses with a dryer sheet and a box of D-Con. The next morning I found the poison had been disturbed and more mouse droppings. I moved the truck and set the same trap. (I used dryer sheets because the Internet said this sometimes works as a deterrent.) The next morning I found the same results, even though the truck was moved at least 50 feet.

I decided to use stronger methods to control (kill) the beasts. Son-in-law Lew told me to use a mouse trap. So I bought a two-pack mouse trap at Ace Hardware. Yesterday morning I found one mouse dead. I replaced the trap and checked it out early last evening. Found another mouse. Reset the trap and checked this morning. No new customers. Have I got them all? I don't know, but there are two less mice living in the motor compartment of my truck.

I will leave a crumpled-up dryer sheet plugging the hole to the fuse panel and will also keep trap and D-Con available for a couple more days. I do not wish to replace the fuse panel.

Hopefully I will have no more problems!

Sooo....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: