Friday, October 3, 2014

A Questionable Pitching Change

I am making up my own writing prompt today: Baseball managing.

It is post-season baseball time. Each game is important.

I just watched the last few innings of game 2 of the ALDS, Detroit at Baltimore. Detroit was ahead 6-3 going into the bottom of the 8th inning, but ended up losing 7-6.

Detroit's relief pitcher had pitched a couple really clean innings, but the manager took him out of the game after the 7th inning. My question is, "Why not put him back out there for the 8th and wait to take him out when he gives up a hit or a walk?"

I just told my parents that if I had been the Detroit manager for just that one decision, Detroit probably would have won the game!

Neither Detroit nor Baltimore are my team, so it's okay with me whoever wins. I just don't understand the "over-managing" that sometimes takes place in baseball.

And my five minutes are up.

No comments: