Friday, October 24, 2014

A Happy Airline Baggage Story

Writing Prompt:  Baggage.

I know the word "baggage" is often used to refer to emotional issues and the like. I really don't want to write about that kind of baggage. So....

On a trip home to Maine (when I lived in Kansas), I had a connecting flight in Chicago, I think. When I got to the gate, I saw that there was an earlier flight to Portland than the one I was ticketed for. This earlier flight got in around 8:30 p.m., which was a much better time than my midnight ETA.

I asked if there were any available seats on the earlier flight. The attendant wasn't sure yet, but they took my name and told me to be listening for it. If they could get me on the earlier flight, then they would -- but my checked baggage wouldn't arrive until the later flight. That was fine with me! (These were the days when making flight changes were much easier.)

I made a phone call to my parents. "If you don't hear back from me, pick me up at the airport at 8:30 p.m."

I got a seat on the earlier flight at the last minute. When I arrived in Portland, I went to the baggage claim to let the desk know I would be back the next day to pick up my luggage. Before I got to the counter, I glanced at the baggage claim carousel. What do you think I saw?

The first bag out was mine! Somebody was on the ball.

Thus ends my happy airline baggage story.  :)

No comments: