Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dad 82: A Tale of Two Beards

(My vote is "Do what you want to."  Enjoy Dad's post.  And GO, PATRIOTS!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  February arrives as we are enjoying a winter which really hasn't been too bad.  Only plowing twice to date.  Once we get to February, we figure winter can still be severe; however, we have only four short weeks until March.  Now -- don't misunderstand -- March and April can also create havoc with snow, but it won't stay around as long.

My mother always looked forward to February as winter would be on a downhill run.  Doesn't always work that way, but time is short.

Speaking of my mother, I'm reminded of a time back in the early 1970s.  One summer I decided I was lazy and decided not to shave.  Well, as time went by, my face was getting covered by a mass of hair.  I'm really not sure why Mom's reaction was so severe, but I was almost removed from the family.  This from a person who had seen several versions of Christ, all with facial hair.  Somehow, I didn't fit the bill with my beard.  Well, summing it up, I was not booted out of the family.  I was not regarded as being most likely to be chosen as "family person of the year" either.  Suffice it to say that as Fall appeared, my beard disappeared.  It was then that my family status was restored.  Whew, what a relief!

The years have flown by and I made another decision to check out how mature I would look with another beard.  Actually I became lazy and wished not to shave.  I would use as a reason for not shaving:  I must lose another 20 pounds (or close to 20 pounds).  Along about November 2011 I stopped using my razor.  It is now February 1, 2012 and I've succeeded in reducing my bulk by another 15-20 pounds.  So, it is time for me to clean my grubby face down to the skin.  I will do so on February 23, 2012 when I get my next haircut. I'll have Cindy clip all off as much as possible with her clippers.  I'll return home and clean up the mess.

However, I'd be willing to keep my very special look with a hairy face if my "fans" want me to keep it. The pictures below reveal the look of 1972 and 2012. You be the judge. I kind of like not shaving. Cindy does a fine job of trimming my face. What do you think? Be honest, but not cruel!


Then

Now


Now to the week's important news.  The Patriots face the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI this Sunday.  I think the game could go either way.  I, however, say "GOOOO PAAATTSS!!"

I want to thank our Indy niece and nephew (Kathy and Gordon) for their spectacular photos of Indy in preparation for the Patriots victory.  We all enjoyed the photos.  Poor Eli.  Eli can't win more Super Bowls than big brother Peyton.  That would not be right, would it?

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!



4 comments:

a bewildered granddaughter (Kaelen) said...

I don't know that man! What have you done with my Papa!???!

the youngest daughter said...

I say keep it!! (sorry mom)

Niece Kathy said...

I like it. I say keep it!

Best looking son-in-law said...

I don't care about the beard...I'm just soooooo glad this week's mystery photo was not a Greek God Speedo pic!!