Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Anticipating Lent

Lent begins tomorrow.

I do not typically give up anything for Lent, but I feel compelled to this year.

When I mentioned to Lew that I might give up chocolate, he reminded me about my "heart medicine" of two dark chocolate Dove Promises every morning.  And indeed, I do eat these for the health benefits -- although I enjoy them, too, of course!

So I told Lew that I would abstain from non-medicinal chocolate during Lent.

And because of the above non-medicinal qualifier, I will also give up cheese (with no qualifiers).

I love cheese.  In fact I had a grilled cheese sandwich at Dunkin' Donuts after Lew's colonoscopy today.

Giving up chocolate and cheese will be difficult for me.  But this difficulty is not what I should dwell on over the next few weeks.

What I will attempt to reflect on is the why.  What purpose does depriving myself of certain foods serve?  It will help me to remember Christ's suffering (although my "suffering" is non-existent in comparison).  It will help me to focus on the health of my own soul.  Hopefully it will help me with some much-needed attitude adjustments.

And most of all, it will be preparing my heart for that special day... the day after Lent ends....

Yes!

Easter Sunday!  The celebration of the Risen Lord.

(Postscript:  Lew's colonoscopy went fine, by the way.  He is very happy it's over.)

1 comment:

Aunt Jean said...

So glad for Lew's good report!