Sunday, May 15, 2011

Raining

It's pouring outside.  Really, really pouring.

Some church friends actually had to take their kids to soccer games today.  Despite the rain, the games were not cancelled.  Their kids are little kids -- not even in middle school yet.  But because my friends also coach, they all had to go.  (Next time I see them, I'm going to tease them about their sanity!)

I am pretty selective about what I will do outside when it's raining.  Basically, I will do "nothing" -- other than running to and from a vehicle.  And perhaps to the mailbox if I can't talk Lew or my father into doing it.

I have gotten caught outside in the rain a few times in my life.  A few examples:

--  Once when I was in college, I had to walk two miles in the rain to get home.  Fortunately, it was summer and it was warm.

--  Lew and I got caught a few years ago when we were out taking a walk.  We didn't start our mad sprint home until it was too late.  We got soaked.

--  Two summers ago, my sisters, their families, Lew, and I went to see the fireworks at Old Orchard Beach.  We walked to the fireworks location from my Aunts' cottages.  It began to rain before the fireworks were over.  And it wasn't a light rain.  It was pouring hard, kind of like it is now.  We all got drenched.  (And, of course, none of us thought about calling Aunt Debbie to come pick up a driver or two....)

--  Our family used to ride antique bicycles in parades.  One year -- right as the Yarmouth Clam Festival parade ended -- the rain began coming down in buckets.  Most of us had to ride on an open trailer back to where all of the other vehicles were.  It was not fun.  I think that was the most wet I have ever been in my life, if there is such a thing as "most wet."

--  Lew and I did once try to sit through one of Josh's football games in the rain.  We didn't make it to the end.  And due to an unfortunate seating decision, my jeans were soaked.  But we still had a few errands to run before heading home.  Solution?  Buy new jeans.

Try not to get wet!!

No comments: