Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Eye Has It

When we arrived at breakfast this morning, Dick told us right away that he finally got his new eye.  Lew looked at him and said, "Gee, I hardly recognize you!"  Hahahaha.

I asked Dick if he still had his old eye.  He did, and he pulled it out of his pocket.  It was in a nice little plastic case.  For some reason, I was expecting it to be completely round -- you know, an eye "ball."  But it wasn't.  It was mostly flat on the back, with a little hook-type shape on one edge that kept it in place in the eye socket.

Carole may use the old eye in one of her jewelry creations.  Either a ring or a pendant.  I'm voting for the pendant.  I told her that she wouldn't be able to sell the final piece, though.  She definitely would have to keep it for herself!

Dick had used the old eye for over 50 years.  The new eye is bigger and looks better.  And, of course, I told him that... but then I quickly added, "Not that you were unsightly before!"  Oops... Did I really say that?  No pun was intended.  Really.

Not that Dick would have minded the pun.  After all, his C.B. radio handle was "Dead Eye."

(Postscript:  I probably should give a little background.  Dick lost his left eye due to a childhood accident.  I believe that an arrow was involved.  Ouch!)

1 comment:

Carole said...

You're right...he's not sensitive to any reference to his eye. In fact, when he can't find something, I ask him which eye did you use when searching? We have had our share of puns over the years. His new eye looks great...is that a pun? ;o)