Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

The card I gave my mother today starts off by saying, "Mom, you spent most of your time..." -- and then it lists several things that moms do.  One of those things is "explaining."  The artwork on the card clearly shows this to mean "helping with homework."

When my mother thanked me for the card, she also said, "But I don't ever remember helping you with your homework."  I reminded her that she saved me from dropping out of high school after only one day.  (Well, it wasn't quite that serious....)

My freshman year I signed up to take Latin.  The teacher (whom I grew to really like) had me totally confused by the time class got out the first day.  So when I got home, I just stared at my homework.  I had NO clue how to proceed.  This was a new experience, as schoolwork had always been somewhat easy for me.

But what do you know?  My mother had taken Latin!  In fact, I think they were still speaking it when she studied it.  (Ha ha!)

I must have told Mom that I was having trouble.  I remember her sitting down on my bed with me and explaining the basics.  And that's all I needed.  I don't think she helped me with homework (ever again) after that day.  But it is a special memory, so I end today's post with a message to my mom:

Te amo!

No comments: