Thursday, August 12, 2010

Triskaidekaphobia

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th.

I am not a superstitious person, although I do enjoy the occasional "fun" in doing exactly the same thing in the same order if my baseball team is winning (which they did not do today).

I know that there is a movie named "Friday the 13th" -- I have no idea how many sequels there have been.  I may have seen the original movie a bazillion years ago, but I really don't enjoy those types of movies now.  (Are those the movies with Jason?  I don't think it's Freddie, because isn't he the Elm Street guy?  Do I really even care??)

If you are still scratching your head about the title of my post today, I am excited to inform you that "triskaidekaphobia" is "the fear of the number 13."

The number 13 is often avoided -- not many athletes wear this number.  I also remember that the motel my parents used to operate didn't have a room #13.  Just skipped right over it.

I'm not sure how the number 13 got it's poor reputation.  But I am going to suggest a theory:

Children become teenagers when they turn 13 years of age.  And that sure is scary!

(Postscript:  I had just finished writing the above when I "encountered an error" on the Internet and it kicked me off.  My first thought was, "Oh no!  Bad luck!  And it's only the 12th!"  But when I signed back in, there was my entire draft, except for one small edit that I had just made.  LOL!)

(Post-postscript:  Happy Friday the 13th!)

No comments: