Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dad: Unedited IV

(Dad writes below that he isn't happy with his post for today.  He also mentioned his displeasure when he handed me his yellow-lined pad of paper.  I told him that not every blog entry can be brilliant, but one just needs to keep writing.  And now that I think more about it, isn't that how this whole "guest blogger" thing started?  With him telling me that I needed to be more committed to my blog?  And my challenge to him to write his own?  Ha ha!  I think I've been vindicated!  Tune in tomorrow for Vacation Days 5 and 6.  And enjoy Dad's post! -- Tracy)

Baseball was over -- or so we thought, as Josh's team went 3-2 in a double elimination tournament with a 4th place finish out of 11 teams.

We were wrong!

Nick (Zack's best friend) was on a team coached by his dad (Lonny).  The team's regular season ended with a shortage of players.  Lonny recruited Zack for the playoffs.

Off we go again for 4 games.

After watching the completion of the last league game (one inning only), we were ready for the tourney.  It looked good for 3 innings as Zack's team was ahead 8-0.  A severe slide in momentum appeared and they lost in the last inning (9-8, I believe)!  Friday was over and we looked forward to Saturday.

Saturday at noon we travelled to Wells and we won (called by time after 4 innings).  This game had an occurrence that I have never seen in a ballgame.  I've seen thousands of games as spectator and umpire.  I probably have umpired close to 1,000 games from little league through college for about 30 years.  Here is the play:  Scarborough was in the field and the opponents were at bat.  The count on the hitter was 3-2.  The batter felt nature calling.  He called "time" (I think) and dropped his bat.  He proceeded to run from the park and continued running to the Porta-Potty about 400-500 feet away.  The officials finally decided to call the kid "out" and play resumed (about 5 minutes elapsed).  Everybody had a chuckle!

Next game was at 6 o'clock so some stayed around and I went home.  I went back for the night game with Mary Lou, Tracy, and Lew.  We ate well at the snack shop but the team didn't fare as well.  Disaster struck as the game was lost (really lost).

Sunday noon was the last game and another loss.  Finally baseball is over (except for watching the Red Sox).  Today I saw a left-handed 2nd baseman and a left-handed catcher.  Not a common sight!

Speaking of the Red Sox, Josh attended the Red Sox - Detroit game on Sunday, August 1st.  Papelbon blew a save but got the win.  (Strange.)

Last night Lew and Tracy took Josh and Zack to the Sea Dogs' game.  A real pitchers's duel as mentioned in Tracy's blog last night (Sea Dogs won 14-8).

One last note:  I'm not learning enough to start my own blog by September so I'll continue to be a guest blogger until I become more familiar with the technology of computers.

By the way, Pepper is very happy and has been seen throughout the house (both sides) as Cocoa is back in Illinois.  We miss Cocoa, but enjoy seeing Pepper.

I'm not happy with my creation tonight -- will try to pick it up next time.

Until then -- Bye!!

P.S.  The turkeys were back last Monday and today at 4:55 p.m.  Tomorrow I'll get some cracked corn for them.  Happy days are here again!

No comments: