Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dad: Unedited VII

(After typing in Dad's post about his week, I felt like I had actually been there.  Well, I was there for some of it!  I helped weigh the suitcase a few times....Phew!  Enjoy! -- Tracy)

The week in review -- A Retiree's Week!

Since my last post one week ago, I've decided this week to let you in on my exciting week's events.  Please remember it doesn't take much for me to consider it exciting.

I got up at 3:15 a.m. on Thursday, August 19th to take granddaughter Kaelen to the airport for a 6:00 a.m. flight to home in Eureka, IL.  Kaelen spent the summer here, staying with Uncle Lew and Aunt Tracy for a second summer while working at a local seafood restaurant.

This airport trip was clouded by a rather unusual-in-family gambling event.  The gamble:  Uncle Lew and Mary Lou had a bet about the possibility of Mary Lou rising to see Kaelen off.  Lew said she would be up -- but Mary Lou insisted there wasn't a chance she would arise at that early hour.  Suffice it to say, that not only did she get up, she also rode to the airport for Kaelen's departure.

I dropped them off and went to park the car.  Upon returning, Grandma had Kaelen working at a kiosk to gather up her boarding passes and all other necessary materials.  Since they knew nothing about the operation, a call was made for help.  Help arrived and success followed.  Kaelen's suitcase weighed in at 48 pounds, two pounds shy of the maximum weight allowed.  Over 50 pounds would cost $90 as opposed to $25 for under 50 pounds.  It should be noted that the night before Kaelen had to take 15-20 pounds out of the suitcase to make weight.  Her trip went well and we were home before lift-off.

Lew took all excess materials to his place of business and sent them to Eureka in a big brown truck.  "What can brown do for you?"

One month earlier we had set up a hair appointment for 8:00 a.m.  At the time we did not know we would be up for the airport.  We made our hair appointment and returned home for a relaxing day.

Mary Lou got home and did a couple washes before hibernating for two days.  It is not good to get old!  Of course I spent the day sitting and snoozing on the couch.

The next day I took my model "A" roadster for a drive through Old Orchard and Saco to refuel the machine.  It is the first time I have driven it on the road for a few years, even though it is always licensed and insured.  Have you noticed how the older one gets the less time you tend to spend on hobbies, etc.?

I managed to walk to Ken's Place (a seafood restaurant) for fried clams and baked haddock one day.  I ate the clams and the haddock was for Mary Lou.  I kinda' went off my diet as I needed some real food not related to the leafy junk.  I ate every single clam.  They were tasty.

A couple days were spent doing a thorough cleaning of our apartment and exchanging a TV box at Time Warner Cable.

Up until today the rest of my time was spent taking trips to the store and watching the fine baseball team from Boston.  In fact, I'm sitting here now watching a game in the rain.  If all goes well, I'll watch another one tonight (a day-night doubleheader).

Who says that retirement and old age isn't exciting?  How much more excitement could one take?

Two unresolved issues:  Mary Lou paid her gambling debt of $20.  Uncle Lew returned the money insisting it should be more because she not only got up, but went to the airport.

The other unresolved issue is my eating habits:  As promised, I'll keep you up-to-date every now and then on my progress.  To date I have lost about 13 pounds.  I'm not "Greek god" status yet, but in the future I can see it coming!

Bye.  Storytime next week! -- Derf

No comments: