Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dad: Unedited V

(I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time in several weeks.  I am not going to share what that nasty scale said.  What follows is yet another entertaining and highly informative post by my father, who apparently does not mind sharing his weight with the world.  Enjoy!  --  Tracy)

I just returned home from dropping Josh off for football practice.  I have trouble believing Josh is now in the 7th grade.  He is now participating in his first school-sponsored activity.  It is his second day and he said he still is sore from yesterday.  Play hard, Josh, and we'll see you at game time.

The day after my last blog I met with my doctor for a 6-month checkup.  I am under the assumption that insurance companies require everyone to meet with their doctor twice a year in order to obtain prescriptions.  So I comply.

My doctor fabricates bamboo fishing poles, so I always ask him about his latest creation.  He told me of a fishing pole he made for an auction at Maine Medical Center for the Barbara Bush Wing.  The Bush area is for children and does remarkable things for all the kids and their parents.  I was quite happy to hear that the fishing pole brought in the highest bid at the auction.  The bidding probably was so intense because the pole was signed by George H.W. and Barbara as well as George W. and Laura.  I wouldn't mind having that myself as I have great respect for the family.  Several years ago, Doc made a visit to the senior Bushes at Kennebunkport with a gift of a fishing pole.  His visit was very successful and rewarding as he was welcomed by President & Mrs. Bush.

After discussing several other topics we got to my weigh-in.  It seems that I'm not at my maximum weight (300) but have gained some back from my reduction to 283 lbs.  It was then we (I) agreed to seriously think about losing weight for various reasons.  Losing weight will lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, but most importantly get me back to the "Greek god" status.  I probably will never get that low again.  I would need to lose 100 lbs. to get back to my married weight of 50 years ago.  Fifty pounds would be good.  Good grief!!

So for almost one week I have been very careful to eat the meats, veggies, and cheeses as suggested by my doctor.  My blood sugar level needs lowering, so I am determined to succeed in the loss.

I have now become a fan of salads and meat with no buns.  I have always used the theory that if it is good for you, don't eat it.  If it is not good for you, eat it.  My world is now upside-down.

I'll keep you all posted with a brief blip every now and then.

It has been a good week for Pepper as she continues to be "queen" of the house.

Hope to see you next time.  Toodle pip!

No comments: