Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Not Just Ho-Hum

This year I am using a daily devotional book called The One Year Daily Insights with Zig Ziglar.  It was written by Zig Ziglar (surprise!) and Dwight "Ike" Reighard.  I share this daily reading with Lew when he and I do our devotional time together each night.  I have the Kindle version of the book, but the "real" book is also available through Amazon.  (I recommend it!)

Yesterday's and today's readings were quite timely for me.  That is so often the case, and I am most thankful for that.

Yesterday's devotion was titled "Trust Is a Must" (based on Psalm 5:11).  The start of the first paragraph set the stage for me right away:

Sometimes, the stresses and struggles of life take their toll on our emotions and on our outlook.  We never intend for it to happen, but gradually, our sense of joy is washed away in a sea of demands and conflicts....
And then toward the end:
Our task is to turn our struggles into steps toward God instead of away from Him....
....When we realize that He genuinely cares, we, too, will shout for joy.
Today's devotion, based on Psalm 19:8, is titled "How to See Clearly."  Its first paragraph:
It's the strangest thing:  Millions of Christians say they really want to be wise in their decisions.  They want to follow God in their personal lives, jobs, and families and to experience God's blessings, but they often fail to do the one thing God promises will give them that wisdom:  soak up the truths in His Word.
Oh, to be enlightened by God... that's not just ho-hum!

No comments: