Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dad 87: Got Blood?

(Not sure that I agree with Dad's explanation for all of his goofy decisions.  Enjoy his post!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  From the sunny northeast corner of these United States.  The weather people have told us to expect temperatures to exceed fifty degrees.  We'll take it.  And this less than one week after our largest snowstorm of the season (14 inches).  The weather person just said perhaps up to sixty degrees.  Even better!  Still have ground covered with snow.  Going very fast!  Not fast enough!  Must replace a couple high divots in the front lawn that I dug out plowing.  Fortunately the pieces to be used are gradually becoming visible as the snow melts.  Will fix up within the next week!  No one will notice come mowing season.  I hope!

Sister Jean seems to be on the right track in Indy as she recovers from colon cancer surgery.  The process is extremely slow but she seems to be going in the positive direction.  Prayers are still very much welcome.  One of her doctors has said prayer does make a difference.  A positive attitude also helps.  Hope to visit Jean within the next two weeks.  In fact, if all goes as planned, the visit will be two weeks from tomorrow.

I'm continuing my exercise regimen and hopefully will break into the 230's in the next two weeks.  Probably won't exercise on the elliptical today as I have an appointment at the blood bank for a 'double red' session.  I've made blood donations consistently for many, many years.  I started in 1962 and since the 1980's I've given blood every eight weeks until the 'double red' came along.  Around 1999 I received my eleven-gallon pin.  I figure I'm working on twenty-plus gallons now.  'Double red' has one hooked up to a machine which separates the red blood cells and the plasma.  After one pint is removed the plasma is returned and the process starts all over again, hence the name 'double red.'  Instead of six trips a year, I now go the Red Cross Blood Bank only three times a year and continue to donate as much as allowed.  After the session I can just walk out, not waiting around the table eating cookies and drinking fluids for 20 minutes before leaving.  I eat the cookies on the way home.  I have a high iron count in my blood so giving is actually good for me.  Sometimes I wonder if my high iron count is responsible for my brain functioning in an abnormal way.  I'm always looking for a reason for any crazy thoughts or decisions I make.  Sure, blame the iron!  Seems like my best reason.  A metal brain!

I must now have my wonderful, lovely salad lunch before departing to the Red Cross.

For all our family in Indy, I'm sorry to see Peyton Manning leaving the Colts.  This shows it is just a business.  Loyalties don't seem to matter, especially when twenty-eight million dollars are involved.  Question, will you still root for the Colts when Peyton takes the field with a competing team?  I wonder!

I can't think of anything else to say so:

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: