Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dad 73: Riding High

(I did my 10-mile ride on a day other than the one Dad describes below.  But I rode a 'lower-to-the-ground' bicycle, which is much more my style.  Enjoy Dad's post!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  After a wonderful Thanksgiving from the warm Northeast.  Another 50-degree day as November winds down.  The weatherman said cooler days are coming in December.  I hope so for the ski industry (not necessary for me, however!).

Last evening we attended a viewing showing respect for a friend who frequently rode our antique bikes in parades a few years back.  This got me thinking about my involvement with The Wheelmen (an international club for the preservation of antique bicycles) and specific times we enjoyed with the group.

My dad (a yankee trader) somehow came upon a highwheeler about sixty years ago.  Other names for the cycle are 'Penny-farthing' and 'Ordinary.'  I took a liking to the bike and taught myself to ride the monster.  My learning was not without a few bruises.

Back of this picture says: "13 years old;
1951 on old bicycle;
at Old Orchard Beach"

Back of this picture just says "Fred"

Even after mastering the bike I had a few memorable moments on the highwheelers, but nothing like daughter Kim had on a 10-mile ride in the late 1970's.

The Wheelmen decided on a 10-mile ride in Cape Elizabeth.  A 10-mile ride qualifies one to be a voting member in the club.  We gathered in the parking lot at the high school where I was teaching, which was to be where we would start and complete our ride.

The ride went well until a hilly section on the way to a local lighthouse.  We started down the hill when Kim left the pavement and was caught in the soft shoulder.  The bike continued to pick up speed as the hill was quite steep.  I was beside her until I could no longer control my speed.  I took my feet off the pedals and went whizzing down the hill.  As Kim was out of control, another rider was able to stay beside her.  Dana Gibson kept telling her to "stay on the bike."  Somehow Kim was able to get the bike back on pavement.  To this day I give credit to Dana for staying with her and talking her out of trouble.  I'm sure Kim will never forget the 'miracle' on that day.

Did I tell you that we never wore helmets for protection?  What ended happily could have been a serious accident.  How Kim was able to get from soft gravel back on the pavement is beyond my comprehension.  A 'miracle' indeed.  We give thanks!

Kim riding high several years after her 'miracle' ride.

I have several more stories related to the bicycling which I'll relate in the future.  My involvement in The Wheelmen was a result of riding in a parade and making the newspaper.  It has been a great ride.  It also has filled my garage with too many bicycles!

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

1 comment:

Kim :) said...

YOU FORGOT TO TELL THEM YOU YELLED AS YOU RODE BY ME "I CAN'T STOP EITHER!"