Sunday, May 16, 2010

Walking in the Winning Run

After today's loss, my beloved Boston Red Sox are 19-19 on the season. (This is not a good strategy for making the playoffs, guys.)

The Red Sox had a 6-1 lead in last night's game, but they ended up losing in extra innings. Lew and I had fallen asleep by then, which is a good thing. I probably would have been too aggravated to sleep if I'd watched.

To score the winning run, it would be nice if the guy actually had to run in order to cross home plate. In last night's game, the winning run was scored...on a walk.

Ugh!

When the bases are loaded, a major league pitcher should be able to throw strikes. At least the batter would have to get a hit to drive in a run.

Ugh!

This reminds me of a joke I heard when I was a kid. The rookie pitcher was upset when his manager took him out of the game, even though he had just walked the first six batters he had faced. The manager asked him why he was so upset. The rookie answered, "I had a no-hitter going!"

No comments: