Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Step Away From the Cookie

My father bought some chocolate chip cookies today at Subway. He graciously shared them with us.

There were four cookies total for Lew and me to eat. For those of my readers that are math-challenged, that's two each if the cookies are divided evenly between us.

Lew had eaten 1/2 a cookie before dinner, so I made sure to grab two whole cookies. (They were delicious.) I let Lew have the remaining whole cookie plus the 1/2 of the one he had already bitten into.

Now that I am a few minutes out from eating the cookies, I wish that I had insisted on a 3-1 split with Lew. I would get the three, because it's only fair. But perhaps that would have been unfair to Lew, because it would have left him with only 1/2 a cookie after dinner.

If I had never known about the pre-dinner 1/2-cookie enjoyed by Lew, I would not be questioning this division of cookies.... Would it have been better if Lew had eaten an entire cookie beforehand? I think so. Then a 2-1 split of the remaining three cookies would have seemed entirely fair to me. (Note that Lew would still have gotten two cookies, but I would have known about only one.)

So I guess what I'm saying is I should only be aware of an odd amount of cookies. That way I can always have one more than Lew. If perchance there is an even amount, Lew can secretly eat one beforehand... but he must eat it in its entirety. It's just the right thing to do.

A special note to Dad: Thank you for the cookies! I hope you enjoyed my post, which was mostly about my love for chocolate chip cookies and not my selfishness regarding same.

No comments: