Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prince

I feel like I should write about Prince and his untimely passing today. It certainly has been a big news story.

I didn't really follow Prince nor his music, although I have certainly heard his stuff. I am terrible with names of songs and the corresponding artist, so I would be hard-pressed to name more than a couple of his songs. I'm not even going to try.

The thing I  will remember the most about Prince was when he changed his name to the symbol that had no pronunciation. I loved how the media began to refer to him as "the artist formerly known as Prince."

I have used similar wording for when names of other things have changed — for example, "the exit formerly know as Exit 8." Those familiar with the Maine Turnpike will know the old Exit 8 is now Exit 48. Actually it's been that way for years now. But I digress....

There's not much more I can really say about Prince. Lew told me he was a phenomenal guitar player and quite the overall musician. And even I know he was a good entertainer for his genre.

With the passing of Prince, we have lost another icon of the music industry much too early.

No comments: