Thursday, November 7, 2013

Pottery 1 of 2: Lace

Krista and I went back to Glazey Days a couple Saturdays ago and painted more pottery. I made two things, which I will spread out over two separate blog posts. (I believe the term is "milking it." I'm always desperate for post ideas.)

The first piece I did was a small platter. The lady at the shop taught me a technique using lace: First paint the base coat. Then lay the lace on the piece and paint over it with the same base color so that it's covered really, really well, with the lace securely "attached" to the piece. Let it dry. (We helped it along with a blow dryer!) Then paint over it again with a second color (which was of the green persuasion, in my case). While it's still wet, carefully peel off the lace.

Below is a photo of my piece after the glazing and firing processes. (Sorry, the light glared in a couple spots in the picture.)

I think my platter turned out great!

 

No comments: