Monday, August 12, 2013

Coincidental Computer Complications

My parents' computer monitor bit the dust yesterday. I had access to an unused monitor, which I picked up and brought home this afternoon.

When I arrived home, I saw that Dad had already disconnected the dead monitor. Dad had gone to the grocery store, but my mother and Kim were home.

Mom told me that now Dad was also having trouble with the laptop that he uses. He couldn't access his websites.

Which problem to tackle first?

I decided on the laptop. The antivirus definitions hadn't been updated for a long time, so I did the update. And voila, the laptop's internet access was back in business!

I also had success with connecting the "new" monitor. Mom is very happy that she can play her Solitaire game again!

Then I started to use my own laptop. Internet... slow.

Checked out my iPad. Internet... slow.

Hmmm....

The first thing I did was reset the modem and wireless router.

Result: Internet... fast!

Thus ended my afternoon of home computer equipment troubleshooting.... A happy ending!

No comments: