Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dad 123: Double Reds

(If the lady from the Red Cross is reading this, I assure you that he really does!  Enjoy Dad's post!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  Another great fall day in the Northeast.  Looks like a great stretch of sunny days in our future.  That's what the experts say.  Hope they are right!

I'm writing this post in the afternoon this week.  I had time this morning but just didn't do it.  I just returned from the Red Cross as I donated blood today.  I have donated as many times as possible over the last 20-25 years.  I used to donate every eight weeks but have changed that routine for the past few years.  Why, you ask, did I change the routine?  Well, now I give every 16 weeks because I give "double reds."  They separate the red blood cells and the plasma drawing the first pint.  Then the plasma, along with saline solution, is returned to the blood stream.  Then the process is repeated all over again.  So I can give six pints a year by only giving three times a year.  The maximum amount in half the visits.  It doesn't get any better.  I'll return in March to do it all over again.  Between now and then we'll have gone through another winter.  Whoopee!!  In fact, one of the ladies drawing blood said to me, "You will probably have your shorts on again in March."  I told her I wear them all year round.  Yes, I really do!  I'm not sure she believed me!

Well, a note to our relatives in Indiana.  I root for the Colts and their fine rookie quarterback Andrew Luck.  However, I will not be cheering them on this weekend as their opponent will be the Patriots.  If the Patriots don't play any better than they did this past weekend, the Colts have a chance.  I'm hoping for the Patriots to go undefeated the rest of the way.  Did someone say "Super Bowl"?  It is possible if they play as well as they did against the Rams in England two weeks ago.  Maybe I have hopes that are way too high.  Just maybe!  I can dream, can't I?

Big night Friday as we all will meet at Zack's house for his 12th birthday party.  It doesn't seem possible that "little Zack" is twelve.  I must admit that as I stood beside him one week ago I actually had the strange feeling of appearing small.  So, Happy Birthday, Zack.  Can't wait for the party.  Just think, a teenager next year!

Enough bloviating (a Bill O'Reilly word) for this week.

Sooo....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: