Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dad 119: More on the Earthquake (and Sports)

(Dad mentioned the forbidden subject again, but I allowed it because of the nickname he coined for them.  And did you know my cats are interested in the baseball playoffs?  They are rooting for the Tigers, of course!  Enjoy Dad's post!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  From the Northeast on a beautiful fall day.  I don't know how, but a better day is forecast for tomorrow.  I plan on mowing the lawn for the last time this year.  It is growing no more as we had a deep frost a few days ago.  Must wait and mow in the afternoon tomorrow as it takes all morning to dry out with all the morning dew.  No elliptical tomorrow.  I'll get my exercises mowing the lower forty!  Can't wait!

Well, Zack's team lost (20-8) its last football game of the year.  But Zack was happy as he caused a fumble and his team recovered the ball.  Josh continues to stay on the sideline as his pulled muscle has not completely healed.  He continues to go to practice as a non-participant and travels to all games.  His season ends the week.

Yesterday was quite a day.  Around 7:15 P.M. our home shook rather violently.  I thought we were being invaded by foreign tanks.  It lasted a few seconds and my immediate assessment was an earthquake.  It was originally posted as a 4.6 but today it was said to be a 4.0.  It was interesting to see the event on a "crawl" while watching Fox News.  A few seconds later the anchors were reporting it.  It was felt as far as Hartford, Connecticut and Albany, New York. Games were held up as teams left the fields as the ground rumbled beneath them.  In a few minutes, the games resumed and no serious damages were reported as far as we know.  Kind of EXCITING!

The evening improved.  I watched the heavyweight debate and also watched the Yankees go down three games to none to the Detroit Tigers.  I actually root for Derek Jeter when he plays.  He is the only Yankee I root for.  Now that he is done for the year I have no one I like on the squad.  Even though I root for Jeter I want the Yankees to lose.  Go Tigers.  A former student at Cape Elizabeth High School is the head trainer for Detroit.  His dad taught in the room next to mine.  I officiated several basketball games with him.  So my allegiance is for the Tigers throughout the playoffs as my beloved "Red Flops" are home.  Maybe they should stay there.

The Patriots lost their third game.  They have lost three games by a total of four points.  Bad decisions -- can't close out games.  If they don't wake up they will miss the playoffs.  Might even get beat by the Jets this week.  GO PATS!! Really!

Put my plow on this morning.  More about getting ready for winter to follow.

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: