Tuesday, October 16, 2012

EARTHQUAKE!

I can recall "feeling" only three earthquakes while living in Maine:
  • One when I was in college.  Very, very small tremor.
  • One when Lew and I lived in Portland.  Very, very small tremor.
  • And one TODAY!  NOT SMALL!

Maybe in the whole scheme of earthquakes, today's wasn't so bad -- 4.6 magnitude -- but it certainly caused me some concern for the several seconds that it lasted.

At first I thought it was the furnace coming on.  But then the house started to shake and the rumble was WAY too loud to be the furnace.

Lew and I looked at each other (with alarm) and then got up quickly to check on my parents.  They were both standing up looking somewhat alarmed as well.  Dad said, "Earthquake."

Lew made phone calls to his mother and Matt and confirmed that they had felt it, too.  I went on Facebook, which was already buzzing with the news.  Apparently other people also had thought "furnace exploding."

Hopefully nobody was injured and that damage (if any) was minimal.

I'm glad that it's over.

No comments: