Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dad 103: License Renewal Resolution

(Dad warned me that he went a little long today.  So when I finally finished getting this in, I was excited.  In fact, I was so excited that I forgot to add my little introduction the first time....  By the way, this IS my little introduction....  Enjoy Dad's post!  -- Tracy)

Derf here! From another sunny day (at least the start) in the Northeast. Kind of a soggy week so far but the experts say gradual clearing for Friday and the weekend. Good news for the visitors! Hard to believe July is upon us. But it is! Enjoy!

Last week I reported my license renewal was upon me. Well, after several hours of hunting and looking around, I found my much-needed birth certificate. A license for 59 years and now I need a birth certificate to renew. Strangely enough, it was exactly where I had stored it. It is amazing how articles have the habit of staying exactly where we placed them. Obviously, one of the certainties of life. Another certainty – we won't remember where we placed them.

Armed with my birth certificate and several other papers showing my residential address was correct, I traveled to the department of motor vehicles. I push "license renewal" and take a number -- 53. My wait wouldn't be long as number 49 was being serviced. Number 52 was called for window #4 but got no response. Number 53 at window #4. My turn!

I had my birth certificate and license out and told the lady I would like to renew. She proceeded to check my papers and agreed that I probably started life where my certificate claimed. Off to a good start!
Was asked if I wanted to keep my CDL (commercial driver's license). I replied I thought I could not without some type of new information. I had received a notification in the mail a while back telling me this, at least I thought this was the case. The lady told me not until 2014. I filled out the necessary paperwork (previously thrown away by me) to keep my CDL. She stamped my temporary license allowing me to ride a motorcycle and making it necessary for me to wear corrective lenses. That will be $28. At this time I questioned why I was not asked to verify my address as stated on my notice from the state. I said that I had a folder full of verification items to prove where I resided. It was then I was told that if my license address was to remain the same, no further identification was necessary. I proceeded to tell her that my card for renewal from the state said something to the contrary. My time spent hunting for proof of residency was not necessary. I didn't put up a fight to prove where I reside and proceeded to pay up and take an eye test (tried without glasses but quickly realized it wouldn't work). Took a picture (another license picture) and left with my armful of unneeded resident information. Will receive my permanent new license within a couple weeks (good for another four years). Whoooppiiee!

Sister Jean had a setback in her rehab process and was hospitalized once again. She is gaining and should be home shortly after you read this. Your prayers and thoughts are welcomed! Thanks!

Waiting for Josh's All-Star baseball season to start next week (July 7). Good luck, Josh!

As I sit here observing my weathervane on the garage I notice the following. It is stuck in a southeast direction and has been for a couple weeks. So – I must climb to problem and figure out why it is not changing directions with the wind. I'll be creating another engineering feat, equal to, if not surpassing, last year's, as I repair my useless weathervane. I will keep you posted. Perhaps even pictures!

Made a trip to Manchester, NH airport Sunday at midnight to pick up son-in-law Joe for his two week Maine visit. Will do the same for Kim and Kelsey as they arrive for their summer sessions in Maine. So Sunday at midnight will be in Manchester again. Summer is moving right along. I hope it slows down before it is over too quickly!! Please slow down!

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: