Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dad 102: Proving I Reside Here

(I dictated again this week. The dictation program interpreted "Derf" as "Dirt" then "Jerk". Ha ha! I decided I had better correct it, as I do know what's good for me. Enjoy Dad's post! -- Tracy)

Derf here! From the warm Northeast. Supposed to hit 90° today on this first day of "Summah"! The longest day has arrived and tomorrow the days will start to become a little shorter in sunlight. Good grief! Is this possible already? I guess it is!

Daughter Deb just left the homestead with Josh, Zack and Kaelen to spend the first day of "Summah" at Splashtown USA. I'm sure the water park will be busy. And WET!! Have fun!

Almost 59 years ago I got my driver's license. Actually I am six weeks shy of 59 years. Why do I tell you this? Because I must renew my license by July 20. Well here is the rub. The notice tells me I need a birth certificate or passport for renewal. Never have I had such instructions prior to this renewal. This is necessary for US citizens. Non-citizens must bring current/pertinent immigration documents. The notice continues on.... Additionally, proof of Maine residency is required for all renewals: a lease, deed, or utility bill are examples of satisfactory documents. I don't have a lease, deed, or utility bills in my name. I have lived in the same house for the past 40 years. However, the utility bills are now in my daughter's (and/or son-in-law's) name. Remember, one can go vote by registering the same day without proper proof of any of the above criteria. What a country! Fifty-nine years and it has come to this!

Here's my plan. I will find my birth certificate (certified birth certificate) and arm myself with the following:  I will take auto registrations and insurance bills as proof of my residency -- something not needed for the past 59 years. I hope this will be accepted by the Department of Motor Vehicles. If not, I will have a problem. I am planning on this trip tomorrow morning, so stay tuned. I'll keep you posted. Only the government could come up with such rules and conditions. Did someone say "COMMON SENSE"?!   Not where the lawmakers are concerned. I love my legislators! Can you tell?!  The word "BUFFOONS" comes to mind!

Well, back to reality. I'm about to hop on the John Deere and mow our lawn. I might even do a little trimming. Will be sure to keep hydrated.

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

P.S. Do you think my renewal notice will serve as proof of residency? I'll let you know!

Renewal notification postcard:  Side with instructions

Renewal notification postcard:  Side with mailing address*
(*where they mailed postcard . . .
but I must prove to them is my residence)

No comments: