Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dad 55: A Defense of Engineering Excellence

(When Dad left four handwritten pages for his post today, I immediately went to address this length.  But then I noticed he had written a note for me:  "Sorry so long, but necessary!"  And my answer:  "Methinks thou doth protest too much!"  For your reference, I'm posting the photo once again.  Enjoy Dad's post -- and believe what you will....  -- Tracy)


Derf Here!  From Exchange Street in the Old Port section of Portland at 9:30 a.m.  It is July 27, 2011 and the day is beautiful.  The Henrys are on their way back to Illinois.  Cocoa's "doggy day care" is now shut down for the year and Pepper is extremely happy, I am sure, although she did not tell me so.  Spouse is in town to see a doctor.

I must, yes I must, defend my engineering excellence of a week ago.  I was "picked on," even vilified, for my excellent work in getting my weather vane working again.  Several weeks of planning went into my decision to fix the problem.  Here goes.  You see, at 73, I must be sure all is properly safe for my work.  The yellowish ladder had a sky hook (that is what I call it) that protrudes over the ridge of the roof and holds it from sliding down.  (Very secure.)  Then I placed my truck so the "Little Giant" ladder rests on the roof following the slope of the roof.  The "Little Giant" comes to rest in the truck bed so it can not slide at all.  For support of the "Little Giant" I placed a step ladder under it resting on the side of the truck bed.  This ladder was not necessary, but was just another safety measure in the marvelous engineering plan.  Now that I had the climbing ladder in place, I had to get into the truck bed.  My superior agility is not what it used to be so I used the second step ladder to climb into the truck bed.  This completed the engineering marvel.  Perhaps unseen in this world anywhere prior to my weather vane repair.  Now I'm ready to do the job.

I climb up the step ladder into the truck bed.  From the bed, I walk (on all fours) up the "Little Giant" onto the roof.  I then change my position to the yellow ladder for my climb to the top.  Being extremely careful I am still on both hands and feet.  (Very safe and secure.)  Upon reaching the top I slip the weather vane off and reverse my upward climb, being very, very careful.  You see, my 73-year-old body doesn't bend and move around the way it used to.

After reaching the ground surface I use a "rat tail" file to clean out the tube that slips over the rod allowing the weather vane to operate with the slightest wind.  I blow the tube out.  I fill it full of WD-40 and silicone.  I repair the backbone of the weather vane by drilling a small hole to reattach the backbone to the rear wheel using a cotter pin.  I then pack my tools (sandpaper, file, lubricant, and cloth) in a grocery bag and proceed to the top of the roof once again (very carefully, I might add).  Upon reaching my goal I clean up the post (the rod that holds the weather vane) by using the file and sandpaper.  I then clean it off and saturate it (along with the roof) with silicone and WD-40.  Once satisfied with my cleaning job, I place the weather vane back in its rightful place, spin it around while admiring my work and the beautiful "Ordinary" (a high-wheel bicycle) weather vane on our garage roof.  Proudly, I carefully go down (reverse climbing order) my engineering feat to "firm" ground.  I breathe a large sigh of relief that the job is complete.

Now I must remove the engineering marvel by standing on the "Little Giant" while sliding the yellow ladder up the roof to clear the ridge.  The ladder is then flipped upon its side and slid down the roof carefully as to not destroy the shingles.  After successfully "downing" the first ladder, I remove the "Little Giant" while firmly in the truck bed.  The remaining step ladders are removed after I use the one to remove myself from the bed of the truck.  I am now safe and admire my work from the ground.  Almost a miracle.  No, not almost, it is a miraculous feat accomplished.

Preparation and breakdown took a couple of hours.  The fix took 20-30 minutes.  The weather vane has been on the garage for about 20 years as it was a gift from sister Deb, who purchased it in Cape Cod.

I apologize to "Mainely Tracy" for the length of this post, but a complete story of what was accomplished was necessary.  The "how" was also important.  I am sure my account clears my name and all will recognize that I am wise for my age and adapt to problems in an extremely efficient way.  Very clever!!

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: