Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dad: Unedited XXXVII

(As you read, please know that I was NOT the lady in the sedan.  Enjoy Dad's post!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  "Spring has Sprung" in the Northeast but the temperature is still in February mode!!  The snow is melting but still covers the earth.  And the Red Sox open in just nine days.  Hooorraay!

Josh's baseball team won again.  He had two hits and one K.  He pitched an inning without any complications.  While catching he threw a runner out at third.  It won't be long and outdoor baseball will become a reality.  Looking forward to it!!

Lew arrived home from work the other day with an interesting story.  It reminded me of a "Dad" story and set up an amusing scenario for me.  I'll now explain.

As Lew was at a stop light waiting to enter the turnpike to get home, a wheel (tire and all) came rolling through the intersection.  Shortly after, a pickup truck came along and the occupant stopped to place the wheel on the side of the road.

My first thought reminded me of a story (true or false) that Dad related to me.  It seems that Dad and a friend (John Stevens) were driving a logging truck (loaded).  All of a sudden they noticed a tire (wheel and all) rolling in the road.  It was their front wheel.  Somehow they managed to stop the truck and the repairs were made.  I guess the heavy load kept the front end from dropping to the highway.  Just plain lucky!

Back to Lew's story.  After seeing the pickup driver putting the wheel on the side of the intersection, he still sat waiting for the light to change.  Then it happened.  Along came a small sedan around the corner proceeding in the opposite direction.  The sedan was rolling along minus a rear wheel.  A young lady was driving as if nothing was wrong.  Lew watched in his mirror as the sedan went out of sight in the opposite direction.  That was his last sighting of the lady and the car.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the driver got home.  I imagine the lady going through her front door telling her husband (or whatever) that the car sounds funny.  It has a strange sound while rolling down the road.

It amuses me to think of the comments that may have been made when they discovered she made it home on three tires and an axle.  I wonder if her route home was retraced while searching for the missing wheel.  I hope so.

I shouldn't, but I chuckle every time I think of the party's recognizing the fact that she seemed oblivious to the loss of a tire.  Strange, but funny!  Not for them -- but for my warped sense of humor!

The moral of the story:
Beware of strange noises while driving.  If the vehicle seems lopsided -- check for missing wheels!!

Until next time;

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: