Monday, June 14, 2010

Meeting for Lunch: A Comedy

While at church yesterday, Lew arranged for us to go out to lunch with my parents and Kaelen. I was chatting with someone else at the time, so I was not involved in making the lunch plans.

My parents and Kaelen left church several minutes before Lew and I did. While walking to our car, I checked my cell phone:

12:26 -- text message from Kaelen asking if we were meeting at the house or the restaurant

12:27 -- a voicemail from my father (from his home phone) wondering if we were meeting at the house before heading out to lunch

12:29 -- a call from Kaelen's cell (no voicemail message)

It was 12:36 when I tried to call my parents' home phone. No answer.

It was 12:37 when I tried to call Kaelen's cell phone. No answer. So I sent her a text message that we were coming home first.

Nobody was home when we got there. So we hopped back in the car and drove to the restaurant.

And they weren't there either.

I tried Kaelen's cell again, but there was no answer. I wondered, "Since when is a teenage girl's cell phone NOT attached to her hand?"

As I was trying to figure out what to do next, they drove into the parking lot.

Their side of the story: Somebody (it remains unclear to me "who" it was) decided that Lew and I must have gone straight to the restaurant. So off they went without waiting for a response to their text/calls. Kaelen needed to charge her cell phone, so she left it at home. Dad didn't bring his, because he figured that Kaelen would have hers -- an extremely reasonable assumption, in my opinion. They waited at the restaurant for us -- for THREE WHOLE MINUTES (!) -- and then left to go find a pay phone. Dad tried Lew's cell phone (from memory), but didn't get him because Lew was waiting in the restaurant already and didn't hear his phone. Then Dad tried mine, except he didn't remember the number correctly.

There was a lot of friendly finger-pointing once they got back to the restaurant.

I ended the debate by dubbing them "The Three Stooges."

We proceeded to have a very nice lunch.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Too funny! My parents and niece are here for a few days. All six of us around one table...Six stooges, I think. And all talking at once - in any language they feel like. Not the most restful dinner I've ever had!