Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ichthys

Lew and I were talking last night about how fortunate we are to live in a country where we can freely worship the Lord.

This got me to thinking about the "Jesus fish" symbol that is often seen on bumper stickers.  It's called "Ichthys."

A few weeks ago at church, we learned that this symbol originated in the early days of Christianity.  It was kind of like a secret handshake.  One person would draw an arc in the sand.  If the other person drew the corresponding arc to form the fish, then they both knew they were safe in the company of another Christian.

I think that's a neat historical tidbit.  But it's also sad that these early Christians lived in fear of persecution.

There are still countries in the world today that persecute Christians.  So, while I thank God for my own freedom, I pray for these fellow Believers.

No comments: