Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lost Tickets and a Priceless Handshake

Last night when I got home from work, Mom yelled that she had something for me. I opened her door and asked, "Tickets?" I was correct. Dad had bought tickets to the Gaither Homecoming concert, and I am the designated keeper of said tickets until we attend the event in late April.

The last time Bill Gaither came to our area, Dad ended up buying two sets of tickets. He bought the first set, brought them home, stored them somewhere, looked for them later, couldn't find them, and then bought replacements.

At the beginning of that concert, all of the singers came in through different entrances. And my sister Debbie's favorite, Guy Penrod, walked right by us! Ever the shy one, I yelled out, "GUY!" and he turned and shook both Lew's hand and mine. I asked him to say "Hi" to Debbie, who was sitting further in on our row. He looked over at her, smiled, and said, "Hello, Debbie!" -- after which she pushed aside several people (including her own children) in order to shake Guy's hand herself.

Debbie's husband, Glen, was unable to come to the concert because he was still recovering from a serious car accident. So when she got back to her seat, Debbie excitedly called him to share what had happened. It had made her night.

Seeing her joyful face and watching her laugh with Glen on the phone had made my night.

Dad claimed that the replacement seats weren't as good as the originals. But they did turn out to be the best in the house.

No comments: