Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Dad 247: We Travel a New Road

(Dad summarizes the events of the last few days in his post today. Thank you for your prayers!  ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Enjoying another bright, beautiful day here in the Northeast. However, it is still cold. As I write this we are slowly climbing to the freezing temperature. I'm ready for April! OH! It is April! Doesn't feel like April. I'm ready for it to feel like April.

There are several events that happen to individuals that one remembers. Such events include graduations, marriages, births, and several others not mentioned here.

The above events all are joyful events. I'm sure we can all think of many more happy occasions. Along with these happy times there are some things that happen that are not in the enjoyable column.  These events must be dealt with as a part of life.  They happen even though no one wants them to occur.

Last Friday was not an unusual day for Spouse (a.k.a. Mary Lou) and me. We watched the game shows from 7:00-8:00PM as usual. Then Spouse proceeded to go to bed as I remained on the couch. About 9:00PM, daughter (a.k.a. Tracy) came to our place for her "good night" along with her big cat (a.k.a. Jerry). This is a usual event.

I was on the couch watching basketball games on the big screen and my little extra screen. It is "March Madness."

A short time after 9:10PM Spouse called my name. I don't recall what else she said. I muted the TV and went to the bed. As I glanced at her, I knew Spouse was having a stroke. Her speech was slurred and the weakness on her left side was quite visible. A phone call to Tracy was made. Tracy and Lew came over and while Tracy called 911 I called Glen (our E.M.T. son-in-law). Strange circumstances had happened and Glen was already on his way.  In a matter of minutes our house was surrounded by police, fire, and rescue vehicles. The first responder was our good friend Lonny. And then the house was filled with people (some well known to us while others were strangers).

Well, I rode to Maine Medical Center in the rescue van. It was a quick trip. Tracy and Lew followed in their car. Our time frame was such that some type of a drug used to blast the stroke was used. It is successful in about one-third of the cases. Suffice it to say it did not have the desired results in Spouse's case.

Spouse was moved to a critical care room around midnight. We arrived home around 1:00AM. Spouse remained in critical care Saturday and Sunday as they continued to get vitals constant. She was moved to another room on Monday and monitored with all sorts of wires. All the time she was being challenged by therapists. I'm telling you. they don't allow her much rest! Even had her sitting in a recliner when I went home Monday. She was very tired!

I was surprised to receive a call from Maine Med yesterday (Tuesday) morning telling me the doctor thought she was ready for rehab. It would not be my decision but I'm not the professional. Well, she is now in rehab and as I left last night she was seated in a wheelchair and about to go to a room for eating. I doubt she ate anything. She will be under high-intensive rehab for three hours each day. She has some motion in her left leg, still has slurred speech, and has little or no movement in her left arm or hand. Left shoulder has some movement. Very, very tired.

It will be a long road to recovery. As of 9:10 PM Friday evening, our lifestyle suddenly changed.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! All are welcome.

Sorry to my editor for being so long, but wanted to cover as much as possible. Soooo.....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: