Friday, August 29, 2014

Moms Rule

Writing Prompt: First Love.

What an appropriate writing prompt for today! It is my sister Kim's birthday, a significant day not only in her life but in the life of my parents....

Fifty years ago today, my mother gave birth to a squirmy little girl. (I'm not sure about the "squirmy" part, but I like how it sounds.) I know that Kim had some medical issues when she was born, so she had to stay in the hospital a little longer than normal. Fifty years has proved that she recovered okay!

My thoughts are a little disjointed, so I'll jump to my point: When I think of "first love" I think of mothers. (No slight to fathers is intended!)

Our mothers carry us around inside their own bodies for nine months.

They love us fiercely. Fiercely.

And don't we love them?

Yes, I believe our mothers are our first love. We may consider them as just a warm body in the early stages of life, but once we are more aware... well, isn't "Mommy!" our first cry when we are hungry, hurt, and even happy?

Five minutes. It just isn't long enough sometimes....

No comments: