Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dad 107: Baseball, of course!

(Dad wrote this several hours ago, so Kim should be winging her way home as I post this.  Safe travels, Kim!  Enjoy Dad's post.  --  Tracy)

Derf Here! The day is a "10" in the great Northeast. The air is dry. The temp is favorable. This is just what we ordered. Thanks!

Well, I've been busy since my last blog post. I'm a year older. Friday I celebrated my birthday by freeing up my weather vane once again. It was stuck in a SSE direction. As I look at it now, it faces the W. It is good to see it working once again. I hope I don't have to free this thing up every year. I will, if I have to! Must know the wind direction. Now to more interesting conversation....

Josh's baseball team (Juniors 13-14 years old) won our district and played for the state championship. Of course it was in Bangor, about 150 miles away. Three trips later, they were eliminated but we all enjoyed watching Josh and his friends play for a state championship. Josh had an on-base-percentage (OBP) of .400 and had a blistering single in his last at-bat. Lost to the eventual champions in their second game. Were down 3-1 until the last inning. The wheels came off and lost 9-1. The champions beat the other team in the tournament (Scarborough split with this team) 11-0 after five innings yesterday for the championship. A 10-run "mercy rule" was used to end the game after five innings. I wish Bangor "Good Luck" in New Jersey in next week's event.

As Deb (Josh's mom), Auntie Kim, Josh, and Jackson (Josh's friend and teammate) were on the way home, a text was received by Deb with some fantastic news. Josh, along with teammate Nick Lorello, were nominated for the Phil Martin baseball award. His eighth-grade coach nominated them and they will receive the award Monday night. Phil Martin coached at Scarborough High School for 30+ years. Congratulations to Josh and Nick for receiving this prestigious award. We are proud of you. Nice guys sometimes do finish first! Josh will be at baseball camp this week so he will be brought home from Orono for the awards ceremony. Then back to Orono for remainder of camp (with friend Kyle Russo). To Josh and Kyle: Enjoy the camp.

Today, in just a few hours, I'll take a trip to Manchester, NH with Kim as her "Maine" summer is over. She will return to Illinois via Atlanta. It has been a good and fun summer. Three weeks from yesterday, Kaelen will be taken back to her Illinois home by automobile. Summer, as we know it, will be officially over.

Not only will we travel to Illinois with Kaelen, but we plan on a trip to Indy to visit with sister Jean. Be aware Jean, we're planning a visit; August 16th or 21st will be visiting day. More to come later.

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: