Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Cone of Shame

Lew and his brother went fishing this morning.

And I took Jerry to the vet.  He'd been licking his "area," and the vet's office doesn't want him to do that for a couple days.

Jerry was destined to wear a lampshade -- the Cone of Shame -- on his head.

The vet, the tech, and I were all in the room with Jerry.  The tech showed me how to put the cone on Jerry's head.  Then the three of us watched as Jerry maneuvered it off his head in about 30 seconds.

Apparently about 10% of all cats can do that, and our cat is one of those.  Aren't we blessed?

So, the next thing they suggested was Bitter Apple.  The tech sprayed Bitter Apple in the general vicinity of Jerry's "area" and when he went to lick... well, he backed off right away.  Success!

I paid for the bottle of Bitter Apple, but they said that I might not even need to use it.  Hopefully the one spray they did would be effective for a couple days.

Shortly after Jerry and I got home, I saw that he was licking....  Yes, licking THERE!

I sprayed more Bitter Apple.  And he licked again right away.

When I called the vet's office, they said to keep an eye on the "area," try to keep him from rushing around too much, and he will eventually heal "in spite of himself."

Our kitty is a troublemaker.  But we love him!