Friday, October 14, 2016

A Tidy Update

During the month of July I began to "tidy" our house. I brought Lew along on the journey. (He didn't have much of a choice, but he is a willing participant.)

I had read a book which I have since learned is quite popular:  The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, by Marie Kondo. I like the practical advice she offers, but I don't really follow the more whimsical ideas. (For example: Thanking an article of clothing for its service before discarding it. Nope. Although I did make my mother do it when she was having trouble getting rid of some things she could no longer wear. It helped!)

Ms. Kondo said in her book the tidying process could take up to half a year; I believe we will prove that. Lew and I have made great progress and we love the results so far. We are almost done with the upstairs. We still have to conquer the kitchen and dining room downstairs. But I'm not really counting the attic.... Yikes.

Once the major tidying is complete, we will need to keep up only on a day-to-day basis. No backsliding for us!

No comments: