Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Driving Lesson

You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. ~ Psalm 139:5 (NIV)

The above verse came to mind as I was driving Lew's car to Glen's shop this past Tuesday. My father was following me in his own car so that he could give me a ride home.

At first I was thinking, "I wish Dad were ahead of me so that I wouldn't be nervous about whether I am going too slow for him." Yes, I am 50 years old and still anxious about what my father thinks of my driving!

But then I heard the problematic noise that the car was making, and I was suddenly relieved that Dad was behind me. If the car broke down, he would be right there.

That's when the above verse popped into my head. Even when I'm driving without Dad following me, my Heavenly Father is there... behind and before me. And that is good news.

I guess I shouldn't worry about Dad's opinion of my driving, although on the way home he did point out all the slippery spots I need to watch out for! But that's because he cares. (Thanks, Dad!)

No comments: