Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dad 179: Renaissance Man

(I wish I had been awake to see Dad's ascent to the house, but it was way too early in the morning. Enjoy his post! ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Back in the Northeast from my brief Midwest trip. It is very cold here but the day has been sunny. Will not reach the freezing point for the next few days. It's okay! I have heat!

Last week's post had some information about Kim's and my trip through the tornado-torn town of Washington, Illinois. I must mention two sites we saw. All homes on the street were just leveled. There was one exception.One structure was left with its front door and casing still standing. It was a strange sight. Another street had one structure with a staircase still standing. Next to the stairs were some upper kitchen cabinets still together. How these survived the storm is beyond my comprehension. A sight to see! It will be years before the town is back to normal. If ever.

As promised last week I will now critique the Renaissance Christmas Dinner by the Eureka College Chamber Singers. I was fortunate to attend all three performances. It was an excellent dinner theater production by some talented college students. It certainly impressed me. I'm sure the show put all who were in attendance in the Christmas spirit. Joseph Henry should be happy and proud of his production. Granddaughter Kelsey performed at a professional level -- proud Papa.

I kept my eye on the weather over the weekend as I was planning on returning home Monday. From my observation I thought I could make it to the Buffalo area even if I hit some snow. Well, I left at 8:00 AM EST and made it to Buffalo with no lake-effect snow. The roads were fine and I continued on.

I was listening to the radio and heard weather reports putting snow in the Massachusetts area early the next morning. This prompted me to make it home prior to the storm. I continued to drive. And about 18 1/2 hours after I left Illinois, I was home (1200 miles).

I encountered no snow but did see some signs to be careful due to black ice. No problem for me until I reached my own driveway! I turned around in my driveway and was unable to get up to the house. I was on ice. Walking on the driveway was treacherous, so I shuffled over to the lawn and walked up the lawn to level ground. I carefully crossed the icy driveway and walked the lawn to the icy steps. I MADE IT!!

I apologize to my proofreader and editor for this lengthy post. Sometimes it is just necessary to stretch it out.

I had a brief, enjoyable trip to Illinois. It was well worth the effort. I thank my Illinois family for putting up with me!

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: