Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dad 178: Reporting from the Midwest

(I thank my sister Kim for typing this and e-mailing it to me.  Copy and paste, baby!  I only made a couple edits.  Enjoy Dad's post!  --  Tracy)

Derf Here!  Coming to you from the Midwest. Eureka, Illinois to be exact. Not a bright sunny day, but it is very cold today. Down in teens.

I'm in Eureka to observe the Renaissance Christmas Dinner put on by the Eureka College Chamber Singers, featuring Kelsey Henry. She will be conducting three songs during the program. This is a long-standing tradition at the college. I will attend all three performances this weekend. (Then, weather permitting, it is back to Maine.) Looking forward to the shows. I'll critique the performances next week.

Spent the morning with Kim as we traveled to the next town. I wanted to see the results of a recent tornado. Washington, Illinois was absolutely devastated by the storm. I knew it was bad as I watched the television coverage for days following the event. Our morning was spent touring throughout the area. We were allowed to travel most streets. The carnage and devastation is hard to believe. Clean up is everywhere and the area is nothing but piles of rubble. There are no structures left standing. They will be cleaning up for a long time. What I observed was far worse than anything I expected to see.

We returned home feeling thankful that Eureka was spared this storm. Almost a guilt feeling as those so close lost everything while Eureka was spared. A natural tragedy for sure.

Enough said for today as Kim must type this for Tracy to post. So I'll stop now.

Check next week for an update on my Illinois visit. Hope to be back in Maine next Tuesday. Weather, be kind to me!

Until Next Time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: