Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Case of the Low Battery

In the middle of the night, I heard a beep. It was followed by three identical beeps, separated by about five seconds each. Then the beeping stopped.

I figured out that it was the carbon monoxide (CO) detector warning that the battery was getting low.

I went back to sleep.

An hour or two later, I heard another four beeps. Fine. Back to sleep.

By 6:15 this morning, the beeps started again. But this time they did not stop. Not fine.

I went downstairs and attempted to open what I thought was the battery compartment. This caused the detector to do a continuous, high-pitched beep -- no stopping for air.

I put the detector on the couch and threw a pillow on top of it to muffle the noise.

I turned on the light, which I should have done in the first place. By this time, Jerry had joined me. (He likes to "help.")

I found the correct location for the battery compartment, opened it, and pulled the battery out. The wailing stopped. Instant relief for my ears.

Lew didn't hear any of the beeping. Apparently the pitch is too high for him to hear.

I guess that I am Lew's CO detector!

No comments: