Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dad 111: Driving, Driving, and More Driving

(That's a lot of miles in just four days.  Whew!  I'm tired just reading about it.  Enjoy Dad's post!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  Another late summer day to enjoy.  It almost feels like early fall.  And it's only August 22nd.  Asking summer not to leave us yet!  Please!

Well, I made it back home after travelling 2,452 miles in four days.  Kaelen and I left Maine around 3:15 A.M. on Tuesday last (August 14).  We arrived in Eureka, Illinois around 10:30 P.M. (Central time).  I drove 1,187 miles straight.  I saw gas prices at $4.11 per gallon throughout Indiana.  Close to Chicago I saw one sign that quoted gas at $4.27 per gallon.  It seems that when gas prices went up a few years back there was a lot of blame directed at our leaders.  Not the case now as gas prices reach the highest that I have seen in my lifetime.  What is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.  To think that I remember gas prices around 25 cents per gallon.  Oh, for those days again.

After a fill up and a day in Eureka, I left Thursday to visit sister Jean in Indianapolis, Indiana.  Short trip, only a little over 200 miles.  Want to thank sister Jean for taking me out to lunch.  Also should thank the Henrys for taking me out to dinner the previous evening at one of my favorite places (Busy Corner).  After a time of visiting and reminiscing, I turned my GPS to home and left Indy for Maine.  Around 10:30 P.M. I had enough time behind the wheel for the day and found a Comfort Inn in western New York.  I was tired!  I had hoped to make Buffalo for the night, but came up an hour short.

Six A.M. came quickly and I had breakfast at the hotel before leaving for my last day of driving for the four days.  I had about 600 miles to drive and ran into some heavy traffic the last one-third of the trip.  There were times when my speed would go from 75 mph to 0 on the highway.  Don't know the reasons but managed to stop when necessary.  While travelling (especially in Massachusetts), I realized my Fusion must have more "bells and whistles" than several other vehicles which I assumed were much more expensive than my little red car.  This conclusion came to me as I realized I had directional signals on my vehicle.  They seem to be lacking on most other vehicles.  Who would have thought a Ford would be better equipped than larger, more expensive vehicles?  Could it be that other drivers just don't use the built-in amenities?  I think so!

Since returning home I have the motor home ready to travel (was Kaelen's home for the summer).  And just last evening Tracy brought me a Kindle to use.  It was Lew's birthday, but I received the gift.  I've already started to read my first book on it.  I am so into today's technology.  Almost know what I'm doing!  Not quite!  Probably never will!

Wish Kaelen and Kelsey a great year at Eureka College as they start classes today.  Anxious to see Josh and Zack on their respective football teams as they are now in full practice mode.

Isn't the start of school a great time of year?  Especially now that I don't have to go!  Sooo....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: