Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Billy Joel Challenge

I was reminded today of how difficult it can be to pray for some people. They may have caused difficulties for me or a loved one. I may find them annoying or dislike them in general. I may even think they don't deserve my prayers. (I am not proud to admit to that last one.)

The overall message of Billy Joel's song, "Only the Good Die Young," is not one that I support. But there is one lyric that hits me right in the gut:

"Your mother told you all that I could give you was a reputation
She never cared for me
But did she ever say a prayer for me?"


Wait a minute!

A lesson about prayer from Billy Joel??

Ah, the cry of the human spirit. Those difficult people should be at the top of my prayer list.

But, I must not esteem myself too highly. As the old hymn goes, we are all "standing in the need of prayer."

No comments: