Thursday, June 29, 2017

Where Have You Gone, Social Media?

I just peeked at Facebook and I can't help wishing for the "old days." I used to really enjoy Facebook at first... fun banter between family and friends... photos of loved ones... news about what folks have been doing with their lives.

Sure, there is still some of that. But now there is a lot more stuff to sift through... political rants... game invitations (no!)... and the quizzes (you know the ones I mean: answer a few questions to find out which character you are in some T.V. show, etc.)... oh, and the "If you care then you'll share this post" challenge to your conscience. (I've never shared any of those out of principle.)

About four months ago I hid every single one of my Facebook friends (even my husband). I stopped following all of the organizations/pages that I "like." Then I went to my news feed and it was completely empty. It was a wonderful feeling.

I have since restored my Facebook news feed, but I don't spend too much time looking at it. I know I miss a lot, but eventually I do learn about the important stuff.

Despite my rant above (hmmm.... maybe I should share it on Facebook?!), I do appreciate Facebook for one simple reason: I have connected/reconnected with a lot of people. And I guess that's the real point.

No comments: