Monday, January 30, 2017

The 8th Commandment

I believe that a lie is told when you intentionally attempt to deceive someone by making a false statement.

Am I lying if I unknowingly make a false statement because I believe that statement is true? When this happens to me, I usually apologize for misspeaking.

But what if my misunderstanding of something is a result of negligence on my part? Perhaps I didn't put enough effort into getting the facts straight. If I share any misinformation in this case, then I must be culpable of something, yes?

Anyway, these are the questions I ask myself sometimes!

The definition of lying came up just last week at work. A couple of my female colleagues and I were discussing the information listed on our licenses. 

I can look anyone in the eye and admit that the weight listed on my driver's license is understated by many, many pounds. I do not feel guilty about this at all. But am I lying?

I will leave that answer up to you, my readers. And while you ponder this important question tonight, I will be sleeping soundly!

No comments: