Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Sanctity of Human Life

Sanctity of Human Life Sunday could be recognized on either January 15th or January 22nd this year (it's usually the third Sunday in January). Our church chose to recognize it on the 22nd, the 44th anniversary of the fateful Supreme Court decision, Roe v. Wade.

Because of my involvement with our local crisis pregnancy center, I was asked to give a short talk toward the beginning of the service. By "short" my pastor meant 10 minutes! Fortunately I was asked ahead of time, so I was able to prepare.

I was quite nervous on Sunday morning, but when I started to speak I felt a great peace.... God's peace!

My talk was well-received by my church family. They particularly liked that I ended with a one-page excerpt from Dr. Seuss' classic, Horton Hears a Who. Horton is carrying the speck of dust on a clover, and his jungle-mates are becoming aware of what he's up to:

Through the high jungle tree tops, the news quickly spread:
"He talks to a dust speck! He's out of his head!
Just look at him walk with that speck on that flower!"
And Horton walked, worrying, almost an hour.
"Should I put this speck down?..." Horton thought with alarm.
"If I do, these small persons may come to great harm.
I can't put it down. And I won't! After all
A person's a person. No matter how small."

If there is a life-affirming crisis pregnancy center in your area, I encourage you to support it with your prayers and financial gifts. Thank you!

No comments: