Monday, February 2, 2015

A Roller Coaster Ride Called Super Bowl XLIX

At the beginning of the 4th quarter last night, I was pretty sure the Patriots were going to lose. They were behind by 10 points. Given the formidable defense of the Seahawks, a comeback seemed unlikely.

State of stomach:  Relatively calm.  I had already resigned myself to the loss.

When the Patriots went ahead, 28-24, with about two minutes left in the game, I had hope they were going to win.

State of stomach:  Nervous. Anxious for the next two minutes to be over.

When that Seahawks player caught the ball after tipping it in the air, falling on his back, and having to reach out for it..... UGH!  I thought the Patriots were toast. Still over 1/2 minute left in the game. A Seahawks touchdown for the win seemed inevitable.

State of stomach:  Churning, churning, churning. Couldn't believe the Patriots were about to lose their third consecutive Super Bowl after a mind-boggling catch by their opponent. Thought I would be ill. Hated football.

The Seahawks almost scored on their next running play, but the Patriots defense stopped them on the 1-yard line. But that was only the first down. Three more chances.  On the second-down play, I was confused by what was happening, but then my husband started yelling, "Pick! Pick! Pick!"  Malcolm Butler had intercepted the ball!!!!

State of stomach:  Like a volcano ready to erupt. Too much commotion. Could it be that the Patriots were really going to win after all? I didn't like where they were on the field. Possibility of a safety. Nervous, nervous, nervous....

But then, a five-yard penalty on the Seahawks! And that was it! Take a knee (or two), Tom!

State of stomach: Cartwheeling! Best game ever!

New England Patriots are Super Bowl champs.

I love football.  :)

No comments: