Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Dad 190: Two Baseball Farewells (of Different Sorts)

(I like to give Dad a chance to remember Derf on his own. The mental exercise is good for him. Enjoy his post! ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Greetings from the still frigid Northeast. We are still hoping to get up to freezing by March 1st. Temperatures seem more like the middle of January. There are no "BIG STORMS" in sight. For that, we are very thankful.

I've been waiting for this post since the end of October. You ask me, "Why?" Well, I'll tell you. This is the last post of what I consider winter months. March arrives in three days. Everyone knows (if you live in the Northeast) that March can be a wintry month, but we also know that the precipitation will not last long as the days are longer and the sun is hotter. Hopefully by April all the snow will be gone. It will be close. Thanks for spring being just around the corner. Let us have a spring cheer!

Our World Series champion Boston Red Sox have been training now for a week. I say there are no reasons to think they can't repeat as champions.

We thank Jacoby Ellsbury for his contribution to the Sox as he takes his talents to the hated new York Yankees. I will not be cheering Jacoby as he stands in against his old team. Sorry Els! Hope you do well as you attempt to catch the Sox! But not too well!

Speaking of the hated Yankees, Derek Jeter will be retiring this year (as he has announced). Derek has been a class act throughout his fabulous career. He will be received in all ballparks this year with standing ovations. I will not be in attendance, but will be with the majority of spectators in wishing him well. Thank you, Derek, for your contribution to baseball. No one could have done it better!

Usually by this time in the morning, Tracy has checked on me to see if I realize my post is due. I've seen her, but no mention of Derf's column. I'm way ahead of the game.

Looking forward to a televised Red Sox spring training game Sunday afternoon. I guess there are places in this country that are snow free. Oh, to see the grassy fields and people in shorts once again (even though I wear shorts year-round, honest).

Well, I've written enough for now.

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: