Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dad 159: Fixing the Weathervane

(I did not watch the repair job. And click HERE to see "foolishness" defined. Enjoy Dad's post!-- Tracy)

Derf Here! Reporting today from the Northeast. And what a day it is! The weather is absolutely beautiful. Take my word for it.

Well, I just completed a project that has been on my mind for about a month. My weathervane has not been functioning properly for the last few weeks. After 20 years of working perfectly, it came to a halt a couple years ago. It was stuck in one direction. So two years ago on my birthday I was on the garage roof smoothing out the workings of the apparatus. Well, last year it stopped working again. So, on my birthday one year ago, I got it working smoothly once again. This year I did not climb on the roof on my birthday but did so four days after my 75th.

I might add I climbed on the roof after all family members told me not to do such a stunt. So much for listening to their foolishness.

I think I may have permanently solved the problem. It seems that the spinning of the overlapping hollow pipe was cutting into the base, causing it to bind up. Using my fix-it background, I dropped a snug-fitting washer over the base and put about a 2-inch piece of PVC pipe as a buffer. I think this will solve the problem.

It sure looks good to see the 'Ordinary' (a high wheel bicycle) weathervane rotating with the smallest of wind changes. Another remarkable repair! (I just sprained my arm from patting myself on the back.) Sure am glad to survive this repair. I must admit the handling of ladders to climb on the roof gets tougher every year. I don't know how many more years I will be able to handle this problem. Let's hope the repair is permanent. Please!

Just to follow up on Tracy's posts of the last two days, I'll add this. We are all anxiously awaiting the arrival of Adam. I'm sure Emily and Matt are hoping soon. Real soon!

I have several more things to talk about, but Tracy (editor) just told me to be brief. So I will.

Please continue praying for sister Jean as she faces serious struggles in her life. Thanks.

So until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: